Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

WU-TANG VIDEO DIRECTOR TACKLES "THE BULLY"

"GREATNESS IN GERALD BARCLAY"

WU-TANG VIDEO DIRECTOR TACKLES "THE BULLY"
 "THE BULLY"
GERALD DEFINES GREATNESS
The unrelenting urge to keep going, to see things through when hope all seem to be gone fueled by my PASSION is a major driving force both professionally and personally.
I think the biggest challenge I’ve ever faced was the death of my seven-month old son Giordan. He died earlier this year from a heart/lung condition. He spent four out his seven months of life in the cardiac unit of the Children Hospital of Atlanta.  
His will to survive after taking his first breath and through all of heart surgeries and medical procedures inspired me to work even harder and look at everything else in a new light. Fighting is all he knew. 
Everything I’d faced about up to that point, obsolete. He was a beautiful baby and felt like my soul was ripped out of my chest with molting hot metal claws when I learned that he’d died that morning. The process is still very hard to deal with but I can definitely feel things healing with time.



INSPIRATION.....



My inspiration to become a filmmaker came from my love of movies.
I, like many others, had parents that went though a divorce when my brother and sister were very young.
For me, the movies was a good and positive way to escape the realities back then. I discovered the power of images and how films could inspire and change lives. With that came a desire to help other though my work. It has been long journey and I have learned many valuable lessons along the way.

FROM DREAM TO REALITY




I think age twenty-one when I got my first video camera. It was in 1989 and I used with my tax returns to purchase a Panasonic PV430 full size VHS camcorder. It had built in special effects. Lol. Not many cameras at the time and I then realized that I had the task of capturing special moments in time and storing it on tape like a time capsule. I can play some of my earlier tapes and relive the late eighties and early nineties.
When I produced the Park Hill documentary “Killa Hill” I was able to share those precious moments with the people it mattered to most. Those were some great times and just knowing I was able to archive those memories at a time when not many others could is motivational.
In my twenty years of doing everything from music videos to movies and documentaries and many wedding videos (wink wink) that has taken me to many areas around the world, I do feel that I have come full circle. I’m at a stage in my life, I believe that many of my projects have made statements and inspired many others.
Everything from seeing my son watching his first birthday party in awe or premiering my Wu-Tang Clan documentary in LA or London, England or “Bloody Streetz” during the Sundance film Festival, its very motivational to see how the images have touched so many. I plan to continue down the path of using my talents to touch, enlighten or educate as many people as possible.

MOTIVATING FORCE IN THIS WORLD


Both family and work are the two most motivating factors that keep me going.
Balancing it all is the most difficult task to do, and one of the most challenging.
IF I KNEW THEN, 
WHAT I KNOW NOW.....
I will tell the younger me the same as the previous answer and to always be a leader not a follower. 
Be honest, fair and follow your guts and do the best you can. I will also add that sometimes failures can teach you the best lessons the blessings can be disguised as failures.
WHO IS GERALD BARCLAY?????
I do believe that I am the same nice, honest and caring guy. I am a bit wiser and more experienced. Also, despite my many triumphs and failures I’ve fought hard to protect the inner core of me. 
I’ve seen many people lose themselves along the way in the quest for fame and wealth.
STAYING HUMBLE AND GROUNDED
It depends on how you measure success. I measure mine with the level of inner peace. I’ve met many people that might be considered successful by all standards but are miserable or have done things that are immoral.
I remember traveling back to Africa in 2000. Back then I saw myself as successful after making it out of the hood and living in a big house, cars and a good job but somehow the inner peace was not there. I’d become so wrapped up in achieving the “American Dream” but when I got there, felt rather empty. So one day while driving though Ghana, I stopped at an intersection and noticed a guy selling water, chewing gum and frozen yogurt from a wide platter on his head. He’d been standing in the hot sun all day and probably worked seven days and probably would sell like that for the rest of his life. But that guy gave the most genuine smile to every costumer. I remember the younger me being that happy. I came back to the states and set out on a quest for my inner happiness.
ADVICE FOR YOUNG DREAMERS
Filmmaking is very competitive field and requires a think skin. But this is an interesting time. With the new technology in cameras and faster computers, anyone with the right equipment, minimal skills and the hi speed internet can achieve what Spike Lee and many other the great filmmakers took years of training and lots of money to reach the masses.
LATEST PROJECT...."THE BULLY"
I’m wrapping up the editing on “The Bully”. It is a twenty-five minute short film to bring awareness to bullying.
 
"THE BULLY"
We feel their pain. Most of the time the And also, don’t worry chances are the bullies will come to you for work one day. lol
I do believe that most bullies are dealing with their own internal problems and try to divert from it by taking it out on others.
Be careful who you bully because that person might be the one to come to your rescue or even better your boss some day. lol.
DETERMINATION DOES PAYS OFF
I feel that most people have the wrong impression about the film making world. They think it is all glamorous. It is a lot of hard work. And the hours are long and I often do not get paid for all that I do.  However, I would not trade it for anything else in the world.
I think "The Bully" might be one best work to date. The subject matter and production value are all up to par.
SUPPORT "THE BULLY"
SUPPORT "THE BULLY"
SUPPORT "THE BULLY"
SUPPORT "THE BULLY"
SUPPORT "THE BULLY"
You can check out the link to the bullying trailer and website below:
SUPPORT "THE BULLY"
GERALD'S FAVORITES
I still love my Liberian civil war documentary "Liberia: The Love Of Liberty Brought Us Here". Didn't realize that so many people saw that documentary. Killa Hill and the Wu-Tang Clan documentaries still stand strong.
I want them to see me as the dedicated and passionate filmmaker.  As a professional it's very hard to give up. I will never do anything that I do not feel passionate about because it is often a long and hard road to travel.
BOYHOOD
As a boy I always loved family and movies.
As a man I am very content. I have managed to find that inner peace.
 As a filmmaker I am focused. I now understand why the gift of film making was given to me.
*********************************************************************************
WRITTEN & EXPRESSED BY
GERALD BARCLAY
SUPPORT "THE BULLY"
Check out the trailer and website: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxMSJl2j4vo
http://thestopbullyingproject.com/Movie.html

No comments: